THE VETERAN is the newspaper of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Inc. In 1971 and 1972 it was published as 1st Casualty. From 1973 to 1975, it was published as Winter Soldier. In 1975, it became THE VETERAN.
THE VETERAN was the first voice of Vietnam veterans in America, and has consistently addressed issues of peace and justice. Original articles on Post Traumatic Stress and Agent Orange have appeared since its first year of publication.
THE VETERAN still continues publication two times a year. Articles from recent issues are available below.
[Submission guidelines and ad rates]
From Kingdom of Cambodia by Marc Levy:
Each morning outside the Capital Hotel, a cement block building located in Phnom Penh, a sizable group of young eager Cambodians wait to ferry backpackers on their Honda Cubs. I always pick Elephant Man. Burliest of the lot, he speaks English, charges fifty cents a ride. I hop on his feisty scooter and put my arms around his waist.
"Where to?" he asked.
"Ministry of Information."
"Why you need?" he asks as we dart through traffic.
Years ago the Khmer Rouge had killed his family.
"Hey,why you need?"
I tell him a small bribe obtains a Media Pass.
"To stay longer at Angkor Wat."
"Oh...OK..." says Elephant Man, pulling up to an office once used by the French. I hopped off the Cub. "See you tomorrow." Elephant Man disappeared in a roar of blue smoke... Read More
In This Issue:
- No New War in the Middle East by Bill Branson
- It Really Is Life Or Death by Maggie Martin
- A Visit to the Vietnam Center at Texas Tech University by Meg Miner
- Fraggin' by Bill Shunas
- Notes From the Boonies by Paul Wisovaty
- The Arrogance -- and Ignorance -- of Power by W. D. Ehrhart
- Credo of a Sore Loser (poem) by W. D. Ehrhart
- The Last Time I Dreamed About the War: Essays on the Life and Writing of W. D. Ehrhart by Joe and Jack Miller (Reviewers)
- On IVAW's 10th Anniversary by VVAW
- Alternatives To Incarceration for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans by Jim Murphy
- GREEN (poem) by Eugene Lee Neese, Jr.
- Three Days in Ferguson: Observations from the Rust Belt by Vincent Emanuele
- Militarization of Police by Tim Butz
- Congress Drowns Suicide Prevention Act While DoD Makes Moves to Help by Geoff Millard
- Jacob David George, 1982-2014 by Robert Clack
- Veterans Re-Enlistment (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- "I Know You Don't Mean It" by Brock McIntosh
- Veterans Call to Commemorate the Christmas Truce of 1914 by Ben Chitty
- Oxy, the Wise Bomb (cartoon) by Billy X. Curmano
- Telling Our Stories by Ryan Connolly
- Jim Proffitt - RIP by Yesenia Flores
- Hurt Souls (poem) by Dennis Serdel
- Nixon and Pepsi by John Ketwig
- VVAW Protested Nixon (photos) by VVAW
- Nixon's Atrocious Lies and Cover-ups in His Air War on Neutral Cambodia by Daniel C. Lavery
- Nixon's Dream-Stomping Ego by Allen Meece
- A Short Remembrance of Nixon's Resignation by Steve Krug
- 4th of July Requiem (poem) by Thomas Brinson
- 1971 Peace Demonstration by Otmar Fischbach
- JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters by John Ketwig (Reviewer)
- Henry Kissinger Out With New Book (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- The ARVN A-28 Pilots Wept by Jim Willingham
- 1968 (poem) by Richard Wells
- Can Your Hear Me? (poem) by Eugene Lee Neese, Jr.
- The Passing of Fred Branfman by Al Hubbard
- Rest and Relaxation by Gregory Ross
- On the Beach by Marc Levy
- Don't Do Stupid Stuff (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- Deserts of Civilization (poem) by Dimitri Rimsky
- My Lai. UN School. (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- Kingdom of Cambodia by Marc Levy
- in transit (poem) by John Samuel Tieman
- Holding My Breath... by Gregory Ross
- Rock 'n Rollin' to Vietnam by Mic Terry
- The Light Where Shadows End by R.G. Cantalupo
- VVAW Photos from the Archives by VVAW
- Vets Day 1971 (photos) by VVAW
- Chelsea Manning - The Price of Conscience by William Potvin
- Memorial Day, Chicago, 2014 (photos) by VVAW
- People's Climate March, September 21, 2014 (photos) by VVAW
- Meditations by Al Donohue
- Letter to Editor by Tim Teater
- RECOLLECTIONS: Danny Nutly by Dan New
- Boots on the Ground (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger