THE VETERAN is the newspaper of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Inc. In 1971 and 1972 it was published as 1st Casualty. From 1973 to 1975, it was published as Winter Soldier. In 1975, it became THE VETERAN.
THE VETERAN was the first voice of Vietnam veterans in America, and has consistently addressed issues of peace and justice. Original articles on Post Traumatic Stress and Agent Orange have appeared since its first year of publication.
THE VETERAN still continues publication two times a year. Articles from recent issues are available below.
[Submission guidelines and ad rates]
From Jim Proffitt - RIP by Yesenia Flores:
Jim Proffitt. I have to admit that I heard that name in full when I learned of his passing but I immediately knew the face. I knew his drive, his commitment, his sacrifices, his laugh. I knew him.
Virginia and Jim Proffitt receiving VVAW's Winter SoldierAward from VVAW board member Bill Branson at theSummer 2013 Veterans Homeless Standdown in Chicago.
For years I worked side by side with him throughout the Standdown for Homeless Vets events and in those moments I am surrounded by incredible human beings who sacrificed their life for our country and then went on to fight for the rights of Vets that are not as fortunate as they were when they got out of the military. Jimmy was one of these amazing human beings, and for this and many more reasons he will be truly and deeply missed.
I know that the family atmosphere I get when I come in at six in the morning ready to sweat and work the day away will never be the same without Jimmy there... Read More
In This Issue:
- No New War in the Middle East by Bill Branson
- It Really Is Life Or Death by Maggie Martin
- A Visit to the Vietnam Center at Texas Tech University by Meg Miner
- Fraggin' by Bill Shunas
- Notes From the Boonies by Paul Wisovaty
- The Arrogance -- and Ignorance -- of Power by W. D. Ehrhart
- Credo of a Sore Loser (poem) by W. D. Ehrhart
- The Last Time I Dreamed About the War: Essays on the Life and Writing of W. D. Ehrhart by Joe and Jack Miller (Reviewers)
- On IVAW's 10th Anniversary by VVAW
- Alternatives To Incarceration for Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans by Jim Murphy
- GREEN (poem) by Eugene Lee Neese, Jr.
- Three Days in Ferguson: Observations from the Rust Belt by Vincent Emanuele
- Militarization of Police by Tim Butz
- Congress Drowns Suicide Prevention Act While DoD Makes Moves to Help by Geoff Millard
- Jacob David George, 1982-2014 by Robert Clack
- Veterans Re-Enlistment (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- "I Know You Don't Mean It" by Brock McIntosh
- Veterans Call to Commemorate the Christmas Truce of 1914 by Ben Chitty
- Oxy, the Wise Bomb (cartoon) by Billy X. Curmano
- Telling Our Stories by Ryan Connolly
- Jim Proffitt - RIP by Yesenia Flores
- Hurt Souls (poem) by Dennis Serdel
- Nixon and Pepsi by John Ketwig
- VVAW Protested Nixon (photos) by VVAW
- Nixon's Atrocious Lies and Cover-ups in His Air War on Neutral Cambodia by Daniel C. Lavery
- Nixon's Dream-Stomping Ego by Allen Meece
- A Short Remembrance of Nixon's Resignation by Steve Krug
- 4th of July Requiem (poem) by Thomas Brinson
- 1971 Peace Demonstration by Otmar Fischbach
- JFK and the Unspeakable: Why He Died and Why It Matters by John Ketwig (Reviewer)
- Henry Kissinger Out With New Book (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- The ARVN A-28 Pilots Wept by Jim Willingham
- 1968 (poem) by Richard Wells
- Can Your Hear Me? (poem) by Eugene Lee Neese, Jr.
- The Passing of Fred Branfman by Al Hubbard
- Rest and Relaxation by Gregory Ross
- On the Beach by Marc Levy
- Don't Do Stupid Stuff (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- Deserts of Civilization (poem) by Dimitri Rimsky
- My Lai. UN School. (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- Kingdom of Cambodia by Marc Levy
- in transit (poem) by John Samuel Tieman
- Holding My Breath... by Gregory Ross
- Rock 'n Rollin' to Vietnam by Mic Terry
- The Light Where Shadows End by R.G. Cantalupo
- VVAW Photos from the Archives by VVAW
- Vets Day 1971 (photos) by VVAW
- Chelsea Manning - The Price of Conscience by William Potvin
- Memorial Day, Chicago, 2014 (photos) by VVAW
- People's Climate March, September 21, 2014 (photos) by VVAW
- Meditations by Al Donohue
- Letter to Editor by Tim Teater
- RECOLLECTIONS: Danny Nutly by Dan New
- Boots on the Ground (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger