THE VETERAN is the newspaper of Vietnam Veterans Against the War, Inc. In 1971 and 1972 it was published as 1st Casualty. From 1973 to 1975, it was published as Winter Soldier. In 1975, it became THE VETERAN.
THE VETERAN was the first voice of Vietnam veterans in America, and has consistently addressed issues of peace and justice. Original articles on Post Traumatic Stress and Agent Orange have appeared since its first year of publication.
THE VETERAN still continues publication two times a year. Articles from recent issues are available below.
[Submission guidelines and ad rates]
From Miami Beach 1972 (poem) by Pat Finnegan:
We came from everywhere in America,
From the east coast, we came in heavy numbers.
From the west coast, we made a strong contribution.
From our northern United States borders,
From the Great Lakes regions,
From our southern United States borders.
We grabbed the Gulf Coast Vets along the way, on US Rt. 10
From America's cities,
From America's farms.
From America's Islands,
From America's lakes and pond regions,
From America's suburbs and
From America's dwindling farmland
By motorcycles and bicycles
and by foot,
Mostly combat hardened Marines and Army Paratroopers.
Our America had lied to us,
Our America had used and abused us.
And now we were coming to Miami Beach to give voice and body to our anger and our rage.
Nixon wanted to be president again.
We couldn't let that happen... Read More
In This Issue:
- Our War, Our Legacy by Bill Branson
- VVAW Meets With Vietnamese President by Jen Tayabji
- Winter Soldier Award to Jim & Virginia Proffitt by VVAW
- Fraggin' by Bill Shunas
- Vietnam War Veterans Discussion Panel by Paul Cameron
- Veterans and the Health Insurance Marketplace by Jen Tayabji
- The Agent Orange Bill and the "Budget Crisis" by Paul Cox
- Your Tax Dollars at War (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- Kent State May 4th Visitor Center Dedication by Bruce Hyland
- September 11, 2013, Twelve Years After (poem) by Thomas Brinson
- Selective Memory of Our Quagmire-Prone History by J. Michael Orange with Cynthia Orange
- Whistleblower Patriots? by Michael F. Cascanet
- I Had Ray Davis's Job, in Laos 30 Years Ago Same Cover, Same Lies by Robert Anderson
- Another Look at "Intelligence" by Thomas F. Bayard
- Midnight at the VFW (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- The Leave Some Vets Behind Law: A National Disgrace by Rick Staggenborg
- Moment of Silence (poem) by Paul Hellweg
- The Struggle of African American Vets by Vince Emmanule
- US Out of Vietnam! by Ted Scott
- War on the VA (photo) by VVAW
- A Farewell to One of Our Own: Remembering Dr. Robert M. Bowman by Phil Restino
- Reclaim Armistice Day by Ben Chitty
- Oxy, the Smart Bomb (cartoon) by Billy X. Curmano
- Federal Veterans' Benefit In Washington D.C. - Winter 1971 (poem) by Jim Murphy
- The Cowardice of Power by Fred Samia
- September 11? Chile 1973, Chicago 2013: 40 Years of Neo-Liberal Attacks on Our Societies by Kim Scipes
- Return to Vietnam by Mike Kerber
- War Overseas, Social Devastation at Home... An Evening with Iraq Veterans Against the War by Kim Scipes
- Fellow Traveler's Notebook by Elaine Elinson
- Reflections on the Passing of Comrade General Vo Nguyen Giap - Great Hero of Humanity by Merle Ratner
- We, The People by RG Cantalupo
- Operation Egg-Lob: Scrambling with VVAW by Freeman Hobs Allan
- "A Happy Moving Party" by Jim Willingham
- Dear Greg: Letters From My Father by Gregory Ross
- The Weight on My Heart (poem) by Tim Bagwell
- An Amazing Journey with Vietnam Vets by J. Graley Taylor
- The Wall (poem) by Barry L. Reece
- 45 Days (poem) by Marc Levy
- The Retreat by Dan New
- The Fallen (poem) by Don "Doc" Mercer
- The New (old) Patriotism (poem) by Horace Coleman
- When Men Win Glory by Horace Coleman (reviewer)
- Miami Beach 1972 (poem) by Pat Finnegan
- I Love This Man / My Soldier by Teri Saya
- Dewey Canyon III (photos) by VVAW
- Fresh On Yesterday's Tracks (poem) by Paul Nichols
- Book Review of "100 Monkeys" by Bruce Gatten (reviewer)
- All the Difference by Al Wellman (reviewer)
- Letters to Editor by VVAW
- Release of Two Books on the Same Day Recall the Aerial Massacre in Laos Fifty Years Ago by Nick Lombardi
- Vietnam Vets (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger
- RECOLLECTIONS: Just Another Day by Jeff Motyka As Told To Marc Levy
- Lieutenant Kerry Asks Secretary Kerry (cartoon) by Jeff Danziger