|Download PDF of this
issue: v34n2.pdf (12.1 MB)|
From In Memoriam poem by Rosemarie Dietz Slavenas:
The weight of grief is heavy on my shoulders.
I need no special day to bring memories to mind
of all you said and did.
Your face, smiling or grave, is with me always,
child of my heart's desire.
I see you small and wondering, "Mom,
What makes the sun go down?" Then
thoughtfully, "I know, the wind blows it away."
So alive, biking, soccer, swimming, skiing,
running, rollerblading, pumping iron.
You became so very strong, but always
you were gentle and kind.
Your hands, light on the piano keys,
brought out the sounds of harmony,
like wind rustling softly in the leaves,
or rain, clear and sparkling on the grass.
Careful listening was your way.
Such a bright future you had planned,
and you labored long and patiently to
realize your dream.
Then rolled the drums of war,
and you were called.
Your still small voice said, "No!"
But the rolling drums rolled on, and
you were gone... Read More
Also In This Issue:
- The Struggle Continues by VVAW
- Vets Join Protest at RNC by David Cline
- From the National Office by Barry Romo
- Fraggin' by Bill Shunas
- Notes from the Boonies by VVAW
- My View by John Zutz
- VVAW Letter of Support by VVAW
- US Military Posture cartoon by Jeff Danziger
- Leave No Vet Behind by Ray Parrish
- Memorial Day in Milwaukee by John Zutz
- Captain by Marc Levy
- Chicago Homeless Standdown by Meg Miner
- Homeless Sandwich Run by Bob Riggle
- Memorial Day in Chicago by Barry Romo
- In Memoriam poem by Rosemarie Dietz Slavenas
- Presenting the Flag by Hannah Frisch
- Defending VVAW Against Swift Boat Vets' Lies by Keith Nolan
- Chicanos in the Ranks by Barry Romo (Reviewer)
- Winter Whether by John Prados
- Nixon and VVAW by Horace Coleman
- Cross-Cultural Music by Bob Riggle (Reviewer)
- Real Results of War by Stanley Campbell (Reviewer)
- New Books on PTSD by Ray Parrish (Reviewer)
- Historical Photos by VVAW
- Iraq Vet Speaks Truth by Robert Sarra
- On Ambush & A Space in Time poems by Dave Connolly
- Why I Joined VVAW by Kenneth A. Dalton
- Art as Politics & Propaganda by Billy X. Curmano
- Honored Glory poem by Dana Patillo
- An Awakening by Robert W. Gaines
- Supporting Our Soldiers by Gregory A. Helle
- NYRB by Marc Levy
- Purple and Broken Hearts by Dennis Serdel Perry
- Someone Else's Kids by Douglas Nelson
- Oxy the Smart Bomb cartoon by Billy X. Curmano
- Golf Balls by Arnold Stieber
- Author Disagrees with Review by Gerald Nicosia
- Hilgendorf Responds by Kurt Hilgendorf
- Letters to the Editor by VVAW
- A Soldier poem by Doug Soderstrom
- Remembering Dave by Joe Miller & Barry Romo
- Meanwhile in Vietnam cartoon by Jeff Danziger
- POW Remembered by Richard Boes
- Coalition Forces Suffer More Than One Thousand Dead cartoon by Jeff Danziger